Lions serve. It’s that simple, and it has been since the first Lions Club began in 1917. Our clubs are places where individuals join together to give their valuable time and effort to improving their communities, and the world. There are now over 1.4 million Lions all over the world and 47,000 clubs in over 200 countries. They are all made up of men and women who live and work in the communities they serve.
Today, HRH The Countess of Wessex is a member of the Wokingham Lions Club and Royal Patron of the Lions Clubs of the British Isles.
The Scunthorpe Lions Club was chartered in 1964 and currently has over 20 members, all of whom live and work in the Scunthorpe area. We support and raise money for individuals and groups within the Scunthorpe area and have raised over £1m since we began. That money has gone back into the Scunthorpe Communities, helping individuals at a time of need, supporting community groups that benefit others and providing equipment for a wide range of facilities including Scunthorpe General Hospital.
We only raise money from within our local area and we pay our own membership fees so that the club running costs do not come out of the money we raise. That means that every penny we raise is donated back into our local communities or the LCIF (Lions Clubs International Fund).
Why should I be a Lion?
- Lions mainly serve their local communities. They raise money from within and make sure that money goes back to the people in the area where they live so you can see the differences everyday in your local community.
- Lions also give to international humanitarian projects. We are a worldwide organisation and you can be part of the worldwide community.
- Lions are social animals! We like to hold our own events to encourage members to get to know each other as well as attracting new members. You can meet all kinds of new people. We also visit other Lions Clubs’ events and meetings so you can see what happens in other local areas.
- You can develop relationships with local and international community and business leaders. We like to encourage local businesses to get involved and support their local Lions Club. You can also develop your own network while you help us to develop ours!
- You can give something back. Lions are all about supporting others. Our motto is ‘We serve.’ and we do just that. Be part of something bigger than yourself and help others whilst having fun as well!
Want to be a Lion?
Use our Contact Us page or send us an email and we will get in touch with you.
We meet at Ashby Decoy Golf Club on the first and third Monday of every month, between 7.30 and 9pm, and we would love to meet you!